DLTK's Bible Activities
Beaded Cross Hanging
Thank-you to Louise for sharing this idea!
Note: When you're
making this you'll find it "hangs funny" and you'll worry that it isn't
going to work, but once you hang it up against a wall or refrigerator,
it will hang like the one in the photo above (it just needs a
solid surface and a bit of gravity to straighten it out).
Using regular pony beads, it's about as long as a pencil when it's complete.
- string, wool or ribbon
- pony beads -- any colors will do. I used:
- 94 yellow
- 22 purple
- 4 mauve
- print out the template (it includes most of the directions on
this page along with the pattern for how to make this project)
- Cut 4 strings 1.5 to 2 feet long
- Make a slip knot in the center of each string
- Slip the knot over the straw
- Put 15 yellow beads on the first strand of string. Tie the last
bead tightly onto the string.
- string 2 and 3: 5 yellow, 2 purple, 8 yellow. Tie the last
- string 4 and 5: 3 yellow, 2 purple, 2 mauve, 5 purple, 3
yellow. Tie the last bead tightly.
- string 6 and 7: 5 yellow, 2 purple, 8 yellow. Tie the last
- string 8: 15 yellow. Tie the last bead tightly.
- OPTIONAL: thread the pipecleaner through all the bottom beads.
I find this helps keep the project hanging nicely.
- Thread a string through the straw and tie in a loop to hang.
- Trim the leftover strings
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions