DLTK's Bible Crafts for Kids
Jesus Walks on Water Paper Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
- something to color with (B&W version)
- piece of paper for the background (blue or white construction paper works well)
- Optional: drinking straw and masking tape
- Print the template of your choice (below).
- Colour pieces as appropriate.
- Cut out the template pieces. I've added a circle shape (halo) behind Jesus' head and arms to make it easier for the children to cut out.
Instructions - TEMPLATE 2 (the boat):
- Cut out the pieces along the SOLID lines (adult assistance may be required).
- Set the pieces out in front of the child. Spend a bit of time talking about them (colours, shapes, sizes).
- Ask the child to pick up the circle (don't give it to them, let them have the chance to pick out the correct shape).
- Ask the child to fold the circle in HALF (you may want to have your own circle so you can do it at the same time... children learn a lot by copying what we do).
- Once that is done, reiterate that they now have HALF a circle.
- Glue the half circle together.
- Do the same thing with both triangles and the rectangle.
Instructions - COMPLETING THE PICTURE:
- Glue the "Keep Your Eyes on Jesus" cloud to the top left corner of the paper
- Glue the larger strip of waves to the bottom of the paper.
- Assemble the boat on the bottom right corner of the paper, so it sits in the waves:
- The half circle is the body of the boat
- The rectangle is the mast
- The two rectangles are the sails
- OPTIONAL: To make Jesus a puppet that the child can walk on the water:
- Cut a slit in the paper about 3 inches long, about 1" from the bottom of the page
- Tape a drinking straw onto the back of the Jesus figure
- Slip the straw through the slit. Once we glue the second waves over top, the Jesus figure will be able to walk along the water.
- Put a rolled up piece of masking tape on the back of the project, under the drinking straw, to hold it in place when you aren't using it as a puppet.
- You can trim the straw a bit shorter if you like.
the light blue line shows where you would cut the slit in the paper.
- If you aren't making Jesus a puppet, glue him to the paper on the water
- Glue the second set of waves over top, so it's lined up with the bottom. Just put the glue in a thin line on the very bottom of this piece so you don't glue over the puppet slit.
the glue would go along the blue line in the image above
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Template 1 - Jesus (color) or (B&W)
Template 2 - Boat (color) or (B&W)
Printable version of these instructions