DLTK's Bible Activities for Kids
Belt of Truth Craft
The Belt of Truth Craft is a wearable craft intended to be made in
conjunction with the song "Armor of God".
The Simple Version can be done by any age (they're basically just decorating
a piece of fun foam or card stock).
The more difficult version can be done by Age 6+ and teaches braiding.
In my children's opinion the Simple Version looks more like a "boy
belt" and the Hard Version looks more like a "girl belt", so you
can also split by gender if you like (or let the kids pick which they want to
- fun foam or thin cardstock/posterboard (12" x 4")
- wool, string or ribbon
- markers or gel pens
- hole punch
- OPTIONAL: stickers
- Have an adult cut a piece of fun foam or thin cardstock about 12 inches
long and 4 inches wide (you can make it a bit shorter if you're doing this
for preschoolers or toddlers).
- Punch a hole on either of the long ends of the fun foam
- Tie a piece of string to each end of the foam. The strings should be
long enough to tie in a bow behind the child when they're wearing their
- OPTIONAL: An adult can outline the word TRUTH in bubble letters in
the center of the belt for younger children to color in.
- Use markers or gel pens to print the word TRUTH in the center of the
- Use markers or gel pens or even stickers to decorate the remainder of the
belt. You can add a border, draw a cross or a dove or just some
- To wear, tie the strings in a bow behind the child's back.
- thick wool (preferably macrame cord) - 3 pieces each about 5 feet long
- for beginner braiders, use three different colors
- if you only have thin wool, take 4 to 10 pieces and knot them together
every 6 inches or so. Your pieces should be about 6 feet long to
start to make up for all the extra knots.
- OPTIONAL: large holed beads
- Short (about 12") piece of string, ribbon or thin wool
- Optional: Beads with letters on them (you need the letters for TRUTH)
- you can purchase these at the craft store
- Make your own or have an adult make them for the class using
- white sculpy clay
- our home made bead
- black marker
Make 5 beads (cube shaped are best, but round will work too) per
student and let them print the letters TRUTH (one letter per
- The directions are simple, but it will take awhile to teach the
"art" of braiding to the children
- Line up all 3 pieces of cord and tie it so there's an end about 10 inches
- Braid! until you have a belt long enough to go around the
waist. Tie another knot and trim the ends so there's about 10 inches
of free cord again
- OPTIONAL: Add a large holed beads to as many of the "free
cords" as you like tying a knot at the end so the bead doesn't fall off
- This is a good "mentoring" project. Older children or
adults can hold the cord while the younger children braid. If you
don't have someone to hold the cord, use masking tape to tape the knotted
end to the floor or table.
- Thread your lettered beads onto a separate, thin piece of string or wool
and tie it to the front of your belt (beside one of the finishing knots.
- Tie a loose knot to wear your belt.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
- Before you start, sit back and figure out exactly how much time you have
to do the project.
- Set aside 5 minutes at the beginning for "teaching" and 5
minutes at the end for clean up
- Now split your remaining time into 3 equal portions (let's say each
portion is 10 minutes).
- at the end of the first 10 minutes, go to each belt and tie it
off. Now tie a second knot at where they "should be"
at 1/3rd of the way through the project. Keep in mind you want
about 10 inches of free cord at the end of the project. Let
the kids start braiding again from there.
- At the end of the second 10 minutes, repeat the process, tying off
where the children have reached and a second time where they should
be (2/3rds through).
- At the end of the last 10 minutes, tie off the project and tie off
where it needs to be to go around their waist.
- This will give you a belt with a BRAID, STRAIGHT, BRAID, STRAIGHT, etc
pattern and will ensure everyone gets done in the time allotted.
Printable version of these instructions