DLTK's Bible Crafts for Kids
This is appropriate for ages 3+. Though younger children can decorate the triangle.
Materials you will need for the spoon angel are
- a plastic spoon
- a triangle of construction paper about the same height as the spoon
- some markers, glitter glue, sparkles or sequins (we used glitter glue)
- some scraps of wool
- a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 white paper
- OPTIONAL: small wiggly eyes
- Cut a triangle out of the construction paper (older children can do this themselves.
- Decorate the triangle however you wish (we used glitter glue, but you could use markers, bits of lace, sequins and/or sparkles.)
- Tasha (age 6) and Kaitlyn (age 3) both enjoyed this part!
- set aside your triangle to dry.
- take a black marker and draw on a face. Younger children will prefer to glue on wiggly eyes instead of drawing the face.
- take 3 or 4 strands of wool (you can tie bows or braid the hair... you can make it long or short. Let the kids decide on the hair style).
- Put a knot in the top middle of the hair (so it's all tied together)
and glue the knot to the top of the spoon.
- We just used ordinary children's white glue to do this and it worked fine...
- though I did have to beg my 3 year old not to play with it like a puppet until it dried!
- Set the spoon aside (carefully) to dry.
- Take the white sheet of paper and cut it in half so you have two 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 pieces of paper (the measurements don't have to be exact. Discard one of the pieces (or use it for your next angel)
- Put the paper in front of you so the 8 1/2 inch side is facing you.
- fan fold the 8 1/2 inch side. To fan fold:
- fold about 3/4 inch
- flip paper over
- fold about 3/4 inch
- continue until it's all folded like a fan.
- Put a piece of tape around the center of the fan to make wings.
- Tape the spoon to the back of the triangle paper.
- Tape the fan wings to the back of the spoon. Tasha trimmed her wings down a bit as she thought they were too big. Kaitlyn left hers as they were.
- Tape works better than glue (or at least it did for us)
- Add a small piece of wool or ribbon (tape it onto the top) so you can hang her on your tree. Or you can pin her to a bulletin board or glue her to the front of a homemade Christmas Card.