DLTK's Bible Crafts for Kids
Paper Plate Whale with Jonah in his belly
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
This is a fun and simple color, cut and paste paper craft that uses a paper plate as a base.
- grey or blue paint and paintbrush (or you can use your imagination and paint your whale any colour you wish)
- paper plate
- something to color with (or color printer)
- Paint the bottom of the paper plate blue or grey (or whatever colour you would like to use).
- Print out the template of choice.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces. Most of the pieces are simple enough shapes for young children to cut out.
- Using the template piece as a guide, cut off the bottom quarter of the plate.
- Glue the pieces to the plate to make a whale:
- Glue the triangle on the bottom of the plate and the leftover piece of plate to the tip of the triangle to form a tail. You might
want to add a piece of thin cardboard to the back of the tail to make it a bit less floppy.
- Glue the water spout onto the top of the head.
- Glue the eye onto the edge opposite the tail.
- Draw a mouth under the eye (the template has an example of what the mouth might look like).
- Glue on the picture of Jonah inside the tummy of the whale.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions